Did you just replace your burned out ignition coil to have your new one burn out too? Here is why!
The leading cause of premature failure of an ignition coil is due to a worn or bad spark plug ignition cable.
A bad spark plug ignition cable will have a much higher than normal resistance. This high resistance causes a very high amount of voltage to be generated from your ignition coil's secondary winding. This excessive voltage creates a high amount of heat which consequently melts the coil's wire insulation.
Remember that Voltage = Amps x Resistance
In our example below the bad spark plug ignition cable has a resistance reading of 5 mega ohms. That's 5,000,000 ohms! We know that a typical small engine ignition coil uses between 3 to 5 amps. By using the above mathematical formula we can determine that the bad spark plug ignition cable caused between 15,000,000 to 20,000,000 volts to be generated by the ignition coil!
Remember when you are working on your engine, it's best to determine WHY something has failed before purchasing parts to avoid costly repeat failures.
Here is a link to our spark plug cable kit for small engines:
and our ignition coil:
Some early symptoms to look out for:
Engine misfiring? Ignition coil hot to the touch? Check your spark plug ignition cable!
Thank you for saving the tractors!